In preparation of the 2nd Brussels VRhackathon, Be.VR organizes a training for VR tech newbies. The goal here is to provide adequate directions in order to create a prototype that would be technically & conceptually viable. The whole training will be divided in 2 parts :
– 1 on the basic VR technical side (4 courses in September)
– 1 on the VR creative (team) side (2 courses in October).
In order to guarantee quality, attendance will be (strictly) limited to 10 seats (for at least the first 4 trainings)– this is a requirement from tutors. As demand is strong, there might be selection required – based on the following:
– first registered / first served (mainly, but as well based on the following points…)
– profile type of the motivated learner (Pro/ Hobby Dev, Art Designer, Hardware, data driven profile…) – this is in order to create a group dynamic
– participation to the Brussels October VRHackathon (you need to purchase your tickets)
– total number of workshops taken (the more you take, the more chances you get accepted for the program…)
Special offer with the VRHackathon (thanks to the Microsoft Innovation Center):
– if you participate (“participate” = list of presence will be set in place at each workshops) to the entire VRhackathon training program (6 workshops) -> FREE entry to the VRHackathon (your ticket will be reimbursed).
– if you participate to 4 Workshops ->50% off the VRHackathon price (in addition to early bird discount if subscription before the 31st of August)
– if you participate to 2 workshops ->25% off the VRHackathon price (in addition to early bird discount if subscription before the 31st of August)
————– Oculus & Vive (1 session of 2 hours) ————–
1/ Setup Oculus DK2 & CV1
2/ Getting started in Unity with Oculus
3/ Basic control, interaction and motion for Oculus
1/ Install SteamVR through Steam
2/ Getting started in Unity with SteamVR
3/ Interacting with objects using the motion controllers
Requirements for the workshop:
– Basic knowledge of Unity and game/project development (already made a project using Unity or follow Unity Basics workshop)
– PC/laptop with Windows 7, 8 or 10 (no Mac no Linux)
– VR Best Practices: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/intro-vr/latest/concepts/bp_intro/
Nice to have:
– PC/laptop you want to setup for the VR Hackhaton
– PC close to oculus minimum specification
– Latest Unity: https://store.unity.com/download?ref=personal
– Unity optimisation for VR: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality/optimisation-vr-unity
Tutor of this session:
Franck Thomas is a french coder living and working in Belgium for over the last 6 years. He works at SoftKinetic as a senior software engineer, making VR experience using natural hand interaction, like ReachWorld a project we made with Andrew Curtis and Simon Loyer a few year ago.
Franck also works at SuperLink Labs, focus on collaborative VR experiences.
With Simon, Andrew and Pablo, he participate to the first VR Hachathon in Brussels and received the Best VR Project of Show with Dungeon Director.
Let’s code !
25€ for non-students
15€ for students (To be paid in advance via Bank transfer (in order to validate subscription). Details only communicated to the selected profiles (confirmation by August the 15th).)
Any questions, please comment below